I love experimenting with desserts but my husband does not like fruits when they are cooked. He says it destroys their vitamins. Much as I like to try making short pastries like apple pie, I don't dare since I will end up consuming it all. So in my in my quest for summer perfect dessert, I made my first ever Crema De Fruta. Hubby enjoyed it thoroughly and I figured he should be delighted at all because he likes gelatin and fresh fruits, so that he tolerates the sponge cake base, Like other regular guys who cannot stand sweets, he can only have a tiny portion in a slice of cake.
I share with you today my recipe.
Crema De Fruta
Sponge cake mixture
1 canned fruit cocktail, drained
2 egg yolks beaten
2 tbsp custard powder
400 ml of milk
100 ml evaporated milk
2 tbsp sugar
2 cups of pineapple juice
2 tbsp unflavored gelatin
1. Bake the sponge cake for first layer and let cool completely.
2. Combine all ingredients for custard filling in a heavy based sauce pan.
3. Stir constantly until it thickens. remove from heat.
4. Spread warm custard on top of sponge cake. Level and even it out all over the dish.
5. Let cool for 15-20 minutes then spread the cocktail fruits on top of the custard.
6. Wait for another 15 minutes before proceeding to cook gelatin.
7. Blend all gelatin ingredients and gently pour on top of the cocktail fruits.
6. Chill for 6 hours or until gelatin is set.
An entry for